Organic Food and Your Health
This is probably the most obvious but there are two different aspects of your health that are impacted by your choosing organic food: what you’re NOT getting and what you ARE.
The biggest advantages of organic food include:
- Nutrient-Denser Food:
According to a State of Science Review done in 2008, organic food has more nutritional superiority than its non-organic counterparts.
- Stronger, More Energetic Body:
No pesticides, chemicals, or processed additives bogging down your system means a smaller risk of disease, illness, and disorders in yourself. Nothing leaves you feeling tired and gross like unhealthy junk food.
- It Tastes Better:
True, it may not taste as good if you’re accustomed to the addictive qualities of junk food additives, such as processed sugar and MSG. But after just a short time of your body experiencing truly healthy food, you’ll be craving it. No, really, you will. And all the crap will start having a bad after-taste.
- Yes, It’s Cheaper:
Although some organic food and products are more expensive, you actually WILL save money in several ways:
- Whole foods help to prevent major and minor diseases and illnesses, meaning lower health care costs and less likelihood of missing work. One of the hidden advantages of organic food.
- Your brain tells your body to eat partially based on the nutrients it receives. Now that we know eating organic means more nutrients, it means your brain won’t tell your body to keep eating like it does with junk food.
- Buying organic food from the farmer’s market is incredibly inexpensive. You also have the option of bartering with farmers for good or services.
- Growing your own can become free when you get your organic vegetable garden in place!
- And this might not be one of the advantages of organic FOOD, but when it comes to non-food products, organic merchandise is generally a higher quality, so you don’t need to buy a new cotton shirt every year when the old one falls apart.
- Want some practical tips on making organic food cheaper? Read more about how to make organic food affordable here.
- Safe from Dangerous Pesticides:
Chemical pesticides have been linked to breast, prostate and other cancers, non-Hodgkins lymphoma, leukemia, infertility, convulsions, immune and endocrine disorders, Parkinson’s disease and depression. Just to name a few!
- Safe from Scary Chemicals:
Herbicides and fertilizers have been connected with various cancers, immune disorders, infertility, cardiac disease, hypertension, and numerous other diseases.
- Safe from Other Crazy Shizz:
Things like genetically engineered foods (Frankenfoods, such a tomatoes spliced with fish genes for cold weather tolerance), food fertilized with sewer sludge, appetite enhancers given to animals and synthetic hormones are just a few more advantages of organic food.
- Peace of Mind:
Knowing your buying organic food can help you to enjoy what you eat for all the reasons outlined above and below.
I hear a lot of people say that eating healthy and organic doesn’t really matter.
“I mean, we’re all gonna die anyway, right? I might as well eat what I want!”
However, it’s not totally about how long you live but the QUALITY of those years. Feeling healthy and energetic to have fun and explore life sounds much better to me than battling off cancer, obesity, or lifestyle-preventable diseases.
Organic Food Benefits Others, Too
Some of the advantages of organic food seem to have less to do with you than they do with others. But we all know that what we do to others, we do to ourselves.
A few of the benefits for others when we choose organic:
- Supports the Local Economy:
Purchasing organic, especially from the farmer’s market, supports your local community’s economy, creating jobs and keeping farmers thriving.
- Keeps Our Families Healthy:
Conventional food practices have been linked to birth defects, learning disorders, childhood leukemia, ADHD, autism and nervous system disorders in children. In fact, even a newborn baby’s cord blood shows traces of 21 banned pesticides and 200+ other harmful chemicals!
- Keeps Our Neighbors Healthy:
Supporting organic farms means fewer people – neighbors or farmers or people in distant countries – coming into contact with harmful chemicals. This benefits the entire nation’s and world’s health and wellness.
The more we support organic farming with our dollars the more we protect the people we (or they) love. Let’s do more of that, m’kay?
Organic Food and the Environment
And lastly, the advantages of organic food to the environment. Not only does this protect the planet, but it obviously still protects our health, the health of loved ones, and the health of other living creatures.
A few more advantages of organic food to support the environment:
- Keeps Plants Healthy:
No super-insects created by pesticides wiping out farms or wild spaces. Organic plants thrive because they are made stronger with organic practices.
- Keeps Animals Healthy:
No sick birds, dying sea or freshwater life, or infertile wildlife from chemical exposure.
- Creates Healthy Conditions:
No topsoil erosion, pollution, nutrient depletion, antibiotic-resistant bacteria, or scarred landmarks from clear-cutting and mono-cropping when we work with Nature to provide for our needs.
- Supports and is Supported By Nature:
Let’s face it. We don’t know it all. We may not know all the advantages to organic food (or manufacturing) practices. But we know “organic” has been working for millennia, so why mess with a track record like that when we don’t need to?